Sunday, December 13, 2009

Craft Time

There are so many fun crafts that correspond to winter time. Christmas ornaments, foam figures (reindeer, angels, Santa, etc), garland...just to name a few. Craft time is our new favorite past time. The girls favorite thing because they get to make all the choices and my favorite time because they are happily occupied with almost no help from me. I get to sit back and enjoy the looks on their faces, the deep concentration that it takes to place noodles on glue, and the pure joy when they complete a work of art.
Cam's first snowflake


Kristin's first snowflake


Since craft time began, it has evolved in the following ways -


At first I was in charge of the glue. I placed small dots of glue strategically around their foam pieces and they were then given various things to stick on the glue. Then one night I was trying to make dinner during craft time. I made the rookie mistake of leaving the glue within reaching distance of Camryn. I turn around to find her covering her paper with glue. Literally covering. At least a 1/4" deep. I started to freak out, but I was trying to stir something so I just let it go and decided I could always clean up the mess later. Well huge surprise (even though it shouldn't be since we all know how OCD the girls are), there was not a single drop of glue off the paper. These girls can glue!

Camryn applying sequins

Kristin deciding which glue dot to attack next


The glue queen herself - Camryn

Kristin loving the glue

Dead silence at the table - they were concentrating so hard




At first I only gave them very small amounts of craft items (example: 5 sequins at a time). But then I realized that they could keep busy for LONG periods of time if given enough supplies. So now I line up several small bowls filled with all kinds of things (noodles, pieces of ribbon, crayons) and let them have at it.


Cheerio art - it is hard to see the cheerios, but they are all over the coloring book page




At first only one type of craft was allowed at one time. Now it is basically a free for all. And they love the freedom to do what they want. And I love watching the strange things they do. Wondering why they pick one shape/color of noodle over another. How they match all the colors on certain things.

Kristin showing off her noodle snowman


Camryn showing off her noodle shapes (square, circle)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun! We made some jingle bells today - I love craft day!

    ReplyDelete