We cut the ends off of the girls' pacifiers. We are a pacifier free house now. Well, let me clarify. We have two "broken" paci-s in the trash can in the girls' room and they put them there all by themselves.
We have thought about taking their paci-s away before, but we just haven't followed though with it. Honestly I think I was more attached to their paci-s than they were. Always knowing that I could just slip them their "mute buttons" (as my sister calls them) when things got a little crazy. Always having a back-up plan.
Well, a few days ago Camryn busted her lip pretty bad and it was quite swollen. Swollen enough that she couldn't get suction on her pacifier. Instead of freaking out, she just dropped it and said, "broken". And that was it. No fussing, no crying. Just said "broken". So then Walt and I started talking and decided that maybe it was time to say, "bye, bye paci". So since I'm on Christmas break now, it was as good a time as any just in case it didn't go well.
While me and the girls were at the store today, Walt cut a hole in the end of both pacifiers and put them right back on the dresser. When I got home, it was time to put the girls down for a nap, so we went in their bedroom and I gave them their paci-s. They both noticed right away that there was something wrong, but tried to suck on them anyway. Immediately they pulled them out of their mouths to get a closer look at what was wrong. So I asked them if they were broken (that is what they say about anything that isn't working right) and they said "yep". So I said, "if they are broken, then we need to throw them away." So they did! They hopped out of bed and tossed their paci-s in the trash. Needless to say I was kind of in awe.
Kristin proceeded to check the trashcan about 20 times. She would reach in the trashcan and get her paci out, look at it very carefully, then say, "nope, broke", and throw it back in the trash. She would walk a few steps away, then walk back to the trashcan and repeat. Camryn asked for it a few times, but Kristin would say, "nope, broken". I was dying laughing!
Tonight when it was bed time, they asked for their paci-s, but I just reminded them that they were broken (they check the trashcan to be sure), then off to bed they went. They both tossed and turned more than normal, but not a single cry for their paci. Amazing! I think it was just lucky timing.
Now if they would just use the potty. One thing at a time...
Surfing Sunday 5.02
5 years ago



Sara - You are braver than me. I think Gracie and Luke will be taking their "binkies" to college.
ReplyDeleteYou are so fortunate!!!! My older kids had no issues dropping the bink. Ysa on the other hand may die if we take it away. We have limited the use to her bed and it is not going well!!!! I may have to go cold turkey!
ReplyDeleteWOW!!! You guys have some amazing little girls!!
ReplyDelete